Cardinals: Lance Lynn, not Kolten Wong, should be top story


The St. Louis Cardinals are finally in the final week of the long and dreaded spring training season. I personally feel worn out, and the ACTUAL season has yet to begin. Based on the stories of the weekend, the final week should be a busy and eventful one.

Between Yadier Molina's ultimatum to have a contract in place by opening day or negotiations end and Kolten Wong being a nimrod and pretending like he is some savvy veteran who has actually earned something, the professional writers have had a pretty easy job over the last few days.

Excuse me for thinking that the social media diehards have been a bit distracted. This below should be the biggest story.

I'm sorry, but when the guy who is now being relied upon to be your No. 2 starter (yes, I trust Lynn to have a good year more than I do Adam Wainwright to rebound to respectability or Michael Wacha to stay healthy) leaves one of his last spring outings after one inning, its not good.

It is really not good when the said pitcher relies on his fastball 75 percent of the time and can not break the 90 mph barrier. I also realize that this is a description of Bartolo Colon, but Lynn needs his fastball to have pop to be successful.

Losing Alex Reyes didn't just hurt his future stardom, but it hurt the present too. Now, Wainwright is basically required to recover from his disastrous 2016 and Lynn is expected to return to pre-Tommy John form out of the gate.

The Cardinals played off the Lynn injury as "precautionary" and I do not believe I need to go in to the reliability of the information the organization relays to the media from its musical chairs of medical staffs.

If you are hopeful that the club returns to playoff form, this is much more than precautionary. It is also a much more important story than a Molina extension or Wong's whining.

Because it impacts the Cardinals right now.

I'm on record, and I'm not wavering, of an 83 wins prediction for the Cardinals in 2017.

And if that happens, to think, that I feel stressed out by social media right now, is...... unfortunate.

Thanks for reading, @CoreyRudd

Comments